I’ve almost exhausted visiting almost every possible aerodrome with a paved runway within a 2 hour (round trip) flight from Buttonville. I’m planning on tackling Midland (CYEE) tomorrow.
The weather last weekend was below the renting minima. This weekend looks promising. The TAF for tomorrow isn’t out yet (will be in about 30 minutes) but the weather network shows “partly sunny”.
However, if it’s not the weather, it’s the runway conditions. Here is what the latest NOTAM for CYEE says:
000000 CYEE MIDLAND/HURONIA
CYEE RSC 16/34 50 PERCENT ICE PATCHES 50 PERCENT FROZEN SLUSH 1/4INS
I’m not a fan of the 50% ice patches and frozen slush. The temperatures are supposed to remain below freezing all night and tomorrow morning, so I doubt that runway surface condition report will change.
My other option is to head to Kitchener/Waterloo (CYKF). The RSC there is mostly bare and dry (80% or more).
I’ve been actively looking for getting some block time in a 172 or Warrior outside of the school. Mainly for two reasons:
1. It’s impossible to book a plane at TAL unless you do it months in advance. Yes, 30 planes, booked, thats how busy the school is.
2. I’m starting to get frustrated with the rental weather minima. They are there for a reason, and I respect that. They are really close to my personal weather minima, however, how am I supposed to get experience dealing with poorer weather conditions? For example, the forecast visibility for renting an aircraft on a cross country flight needs to be 6 miles or more. I personally wouldn’t fly with less than 7 miles, but I still want to get that experience.
Right now I’m talking to two private owners of aircraft that are parked at Buttonville. One in a hanger (the warrior) and one on the main apron (the 172). We’ll see how it goes.
22 Days until my first flight in the Seminole!